A Long Story (made short)

Saturday, January 16, 2010

'Words Cannot Express I' 2009

fine liner on paper


A few months ago I got an sms from my (then) girlfriend who I (then) very recently decided to take back after a brief romance with another pretty girl. It read “Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx” It was cute and made me laugh for a couple of minutes. Soon after that incident I found I wasn’t straight headed enough to jump back into the relationship especially because of the trauma of ending the pretty girl romance. I couldn’t understand why I wasn’t completely comfortable but I convinced myself she was not a nice person and told her so. A week or two later, after immeasurable regret, I decided I would translate the sms into an artwork by writing it out on paper and exaggerating it to cover the entire page. I knew I had made a series of terrible choices and the simplicity of the gesture reminded me of the pure thought I lacked. It was corny and made me laugh, but more importantly it looked disorientating due to the repeated pattern. When it was exhibited the work was “NOT FOR SALE” as I had made a vague promise to ex girlfriend that she could have it.


After the show it was packed up and I was reluctant to give away the unframed work as a present as I had lost most contact with ex-girlfriend and knew she wouldn’t have paid to get it framed. Then my sister got married and her (now) husband’s brother took a great interest in the work. Initially I explained how the work was not for sale as it is too personal. He was persistent so I sold it to him believing that my ex girlfriend had lost interest in me and the artwork I promised to give her. After seeing ex girlfriend for the first time this year I gave her a belated Christmas present of a smaller, framed artwork that was similarly inspired by the troubled relationship. She asked about the ‘Words Cannot Express’ work and was horrified to find that I had sold it. I felt bad, even though she had no present for me.


The decision I made was to spend the next two days drawing out an even bigger version of the artwork and pay to get it framed properly. It cost a butt-load, but I felt it was the right choice. Now I feel that even though the work has a different title and size I have cheated somehow. Is it creatively ethical to replicate artworks for the potential benefit of the artist?

I wish I were a fucking Printmaker.


3 Comments:

Blogger Keevy said...

I don't believe that your ethical dilemma is an artistic one. And where your question is artistic I don't believe it is about ethics. 'Creatively ethical' sounds like a lawyer's term for Loopholing an issue. Is replicating the artwork creative? No, it's repetition. But that doesn't make it unethical.

January 19, 2010 at 12:39 AM  
Blogger Hugh Upsher said...

It's almost like that situation bands get into where they make an album, release it and then release it a second time with bonus tracks and a dvd.It's not always as good as the original.

not exactly the same situation but similar.

January 20, 2010 at 3:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or like the situation that local art photographers get into where, not content with the editioned nature of their works for sale, then reprint their images in small, medium and large, each size then having its own edition, thus immediately tripling their market footprint...? No, not exactly like that...

But I don't think you were wrong, Upsher. And, as usual, I'm a fanilow of yours, and think its a really nice work. I spent most of my twenties trying to work out effective ways of deal with sms's. This is a great answer to those musings.

January 20, 2010 at 5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Collaborators

  • Linda Stupart
  • Robert Sloon
  • Natasha Norman
  • Andrew Putter
  • Ian Grose
  • Matthew King
  • Tony East
  • Craig Groenewald
  • Mike Rance
  • Natalie Pereira
  • Robert Sloon
  • Jem Smith
  • Jon Keevy
  • Georgina Gratrix
  • Colin Groenewald
  • Simon Tamblyn
  • Josh De Kock
  • Jonathan Kope
  • Shruthi Nair
  • Rebecca Haysom
  • Lauren Palte
  • Lauren Franklin
  • Matthew Hindley
  • Rose Kotze
  • Katherine Jacobs
  • Gareth Morris-Davies
  • Daniella Mooney
  • Karen Graaff
  • Andrew Lamprecht
  • Michael Michael
  • Michael Ilias Linders
  • Ed Young
  • James Webb
  • Daniella Mooney
  • Margaret Stone
  • Marco Filby
  • Hugh Upsher
  • Rowan Smith
  • Myer Taub
  • Ron T Beck
  • Marc Barben
  • Justin Brett
  • Paul Grose
  • Andrzej Nowicki
  • Johke Steenkamp
  • Julie Donald
  • Anna Stielau
  • Tim Liebbrandt
  • Jason Basson
  • Rebecca Haysom
  • Genevieve Louw
  • Charles Maggs
  • Wayne Barker

Return to ArtHeat

About Mixtape

Mixtape is a blog run (loosely) by Linda Stupart as a manifestation of a project in which she collaborates with a large group of smart, interesting, wonderful cultural producers. As such, Mixtape documents these collaborations. More than that, though, the blog serves as a space for each member of the project to post whatever they like: Tell us what they’re making, thinking, doing or, even, feeling. The blog also forms a space for Linda, a Cape Town based critic, artist, feminist, WWE fan and cultural commentator, to post her writing.

Previously on Mixtape

Mixtape Archives


Subscribe to posts here

Search Mixtape